August 30th, 2012

Can you "Like" a candidate enough to vote?

Social media has become an important tool for candidates seeking political office. Just look at Barack Obama taking questions on Reddit. But how much will it impact the outcome of the U.S. presidential race?

This week we asked our regular contributor, Nicholas Thompson, that question. He compared social media to a "great microphone" that both campaigns are using. But he points out that most users of social media are young people, who traditionally do not vote.

Thompson also says, "Social media does not make an election. If it did, we'd be celebrating the coronation of Ron Paul right now because his followers are awesome on the Internet."

What do you think? Could a candidate win your vote through social media?

1. milan milenkovic

I have NO doubt that Pr. Obama will be re-elected this year ( Mr. Romney can get maximum 40-45% votes in November election)! Four issues that are so important to me, that Pr. Obama accomplished successfully: 1. Health care reform; 2. Ended War in Iraq; 3. Wall Street Reform; 4. Clean Energy investment…
    My support to Pr. Obama re-election is my investment: what kind of FUTURE I want for this Country: I am fighting to have a strong middle class, health care reform, investment for clean energy… better education/ infrastructures / transportation…, the best innovation in the world , investment in R&D, to eliminate $ 15,6 trillion of US national debt … My the biggest concerns right now are: unemployment, dysfunctional Congress , US economy and houses market depression…

August 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Reply
  2. John Lacher

Why would I vote for a candidate that don't like? Are we to believe that we should vote just for the sake of voting? No. I don't believe in that. I didn't vote for Obama. The last President I voted for was Ronald.

I do NOT like Obama, nor do I like Romney or his running mate. Who else is there?

August 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Reply
  3. nathan

probably not a good idea.
    although it would be great to get youngsters voting, they really arent the wizest group capable of choosing the right candidate.
    while that is probably age discrimination, id also like to point out that one could vote using anothers profile. also, if one cares enough to go to a voting booth, he probably did his homework instead of just choosing the most visible candidate.

August 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Reply
  4. Grant

Ron Paul FTW!

August 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  5. Dan

Obama takes submitted questions over Reddit b/c he has no substance, and is not able to debate. Instead of policy questions, he'll get 'You loco bro?' as the question to answer. Randomn user questions has always been a ridiculous method for Presidential messaging to the masses. Like the youtube debate – it needs to go.

August 30, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Reply
  6. dbeall

The so-called 'young' people that use the internet will vote IF you give them something to vote FOR.

If Obama would post on these sites that he is going to end the War-on-Drugs which is harming our country and all countries around the world,,, well,, they ALL would register and vote for him.

The problem is that Obama has no changes in sight,, same old, same old status quo.
    And the War-on-People continues with no end in sight,, Obama is a one term failure that failed to end the War-on-Drugs.

any more questions ????

August 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Reply
  7. SuziSaul

Gary Johnson...the best kept secret in politics today

August 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Reply
  8. Ashley Stevens.

I voted for Obama last election but because of his bad record, I figured I I would not vote this year.l. After hearing Ann Romney's speech I have been swayed to vote for Mitt.

August 30, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Reply