October 17th, 2011

China Shock: Bystanders caught on tape ignoring 2-year-old accident victim

A graphic video showing a toddler in a brutal car accident is triggering massive online reaction in China.

A surveillance camera in Foshan tracked every detail, as a van ran over two-year-old Yue Yue.

Sina Weibo has a page dedicated to her story and the accident, which took place on Thursday.

The video is so disturbing, we chose not to air it on CNN/News Stream tonight (and do brace yourself, if you choose to see it - it is VERY graphic.). It shows a number of witnesses walk by and ignore the stricken child. It also shows another van run over her a second time.

Minutes tick by until, finally, a trash collector sees Yue Yue and carries her to the side of the road.

Eventually, her mother appears and rushes her to the hospital. And again... every single moment is captured on closed-circuit television.

On this page, you can see a screen capture after the accident. Yue Yue is lying on the ground, motionless.

Both drivers have been apprehended by police.

Yue Yue's mother has opened a verified Weibo account to update the public.

Three hours ago, her post read: "Yue Yue is still at the I.C.U. and cannot breathe on her own. But she has slight feelings in her hands and feet [...] Thank you for all your care and support."

Chinese Netizens have expressed outrage and are reflecting on the state of morality in modern China.

Thousands are using the hashtag, "Please end the indifference" (请停止冷漠) to raise awareness online.

1. klustout

And yes, I did watch the video. I am haunted. I am angry. I am sickened. WHY?!?

October 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Reply
  2. hansun

I live in China and this type of carelessness is very common in larger cities where any concern for others has been lost as people get more consumed in their materialism. I listened to the psychologist on CNN – he has no idea what he is talking about. Next time talk to a Chinese psychologist and they will tell you what is going on.

October 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Reply
  3. Philip G. Collier

This is evidence of a population with no morals, devoid of any courage, and in too much of a hurry for development in the national interest. Also, the fully disfunctional legal system leads people in China to "mind their own business and keep their mouths shut."

Callousness like this is all too common in the People's Republic of China. Drivers rarely yield to pedestrians, and anyone who slows the flow of busy people gets a torrent of horns and curses until they are out of the way. Everyone is looking to protect themselves, for no excuse is ever adequate and due process does not exist.

October 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  4. echie

Can't believe people who passing by are IGNORING!!.. How SICK is that!!
    Thank god the child's still alive..
    And yes, I'm haunted by this sad video too.. Too sad!

October 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  5. malou

It is like the Good Samaritan being replayed and come to think of it, the trash collector the only person who have the heart to save the child. Trully, the poor will be our evangelizers in today's world.

October 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Reply
  6. Sarie

What I want to know is, where the heck was that mom and why wasn't she looking after her child? How could she allow the child to be in such a dangerous situation? The mom is at fault.

October 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Reply
    • S.

Is it possible she did it on purpose? I feel kind of bad for that immediately coming to mind but I was thinking with the one child policy and all. I agree the mother is at fault. What was the girl doing alone? The one child policy effects seems are most prevalent with girls who are frequently abandoned in dumpsters, killed, left at orphanages, etc because the families want a boy if they can only have one kid.

February 21, 2012 at 7:35 am | Reply
    • S.

Is it possible she did it on purpose? I feel kind of bad for that immediately coming to mind but I was thinking with the one child policy and all. I agree the mother is at fault. What was the girl doing alone? The one child policy effect seems to be most prevalent with girls who are frequently abandoned in dumpsters, killed, left at orphanages, etc because the families want a boy if they can only have one kid.

February 21, 2012 at 7:37 am | Reply
  7. vicchur

It's maddening. Those people who ignored her are worse than killers. Their indifference and refusal to save a life is worse than killing itself. They should be apprehended as well.

I hope and pray for the child's survival. Conscience for those who just passed by her and the two drivers who just went on like it's nothing.

October 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  8. martin300

中國政府總是說打壓腐敗 增加好教育 但說了數十年都沒有一刻做得到

October 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  9. moore

I watched the video and I am disgusted and outraged! What kind of country is China? What kind of animals are these people? What a barbaric culture that could let this happen to a child! Her own mother didn't even react emotionally to her child. Something needs to be done to her mother and everyone else that ignored that poor little girl! Animals protect their young better then these disgusting excuse for people!

October 17, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  10. Richard

The psychologist you posted about the ignored injured toddler is the wrong person to get any comment on this situation. He strongly supports an apathetic principle while defending those who shows no
    caring or concern over a hurt child lying in the side of the street!.
    He is disconnected from is heart and has no since of humanity or compassion. If I was there walking by and saw this hurt child I would had stopped everything I was doing and immediately called for help and shouted out to find the parents. This "psychologist" Is giving people falsehoods and misleading information and should be removed from his profession. You are talking to the wrong guy.

October 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Reply
  11. Sarie

@moore - you can't judge an entire country, people, and culture by the actions of the few. There are horrible people in every country and culture in the world, even in yours.

October 17, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Reply
  12. Adam

I'm am horrified and sickened to be considered part of the human race with people like that.

October 17, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  13. danny lim

it's really sad to see all this happen in china....i was upset that 18 ppl pass-by just ignored the little girl who cry in the pain. people in china are absolute ruthless and no sympathy at all. my heart was so sad to watch the video..........and that little girl's mother will live in hell life if the girl cant survive....

October 17, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Reply
  14. steve

This is very sad but the chinese goverment should be Addressing driving ability in china which is very low watching the video it is clear the driver had time to stop ??so what was he doing ??? when you drive you look forwards ?? in this case he must of not been looking forward in the uk this is called "Driving without due care and attention" so please chinese goverment more checks on driving skills . my hart goes out to the mum and dad

October 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Reply
  15. Inacio milhomem

I think. each nation has her peculiar destination , or costume, we can't criticize wny pople ! as a matter of fact ,this is a great challange for all the people the world to answer, more difficult , to my self!

October 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  16. Terry Campbell

Demo=people, humans! cracy=ruling, When there is no democracy or humans ruling, things like that will keep happening. No democracy means animals ruling??? China needs democracy!!

October 17, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  17. Texan25

I cannot believe this! It is simply unbelievable. Watching a video of it makes me sick; how could so many people walk by this poor child without feeling anything?! I am outraged! I hope they find a way to hold every single person in this video accountable for their roll in this child's accident.

October 17, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Reply
  18. Michael

I think the law system in china have something to do with this (the guy getting sue for saving a girl back in 2006). all the frauds goin on in china just makes ppl dont know wht to believe anymore, ppl that passed by might thought this is some kind of fraud setup. Sigh~~~

October 18, 2011 at 4:34 am | Reply
    • Evelyn

SWCC (CCP) is NOT the most effective form of moevrngent. Stop deluding yourself making such ridiculous statements. SWCC has inherent miserable deficincies chief amogst which is corruption which leads to situations like the recent train crash. Whilst everyone lines their pockets there are human costs. SWCC does not value human life. Isnt that the most important thing? Go ask the wider world whether thet want some form of SWCC. You know what the answer is. 2 Different interests there maybe however many topics are off the table and if you have the audacity to question those topics you are cut off just ask Ai Wei Wei. This lack of ability to be candid results in poor decision making with too many yes men.3 China was also always an Empire run by an Emperor with a bunch of feuding warlords. Try and convince the world that Kings, Emperors and yes men are the way of the future. Sure China has done well for many years but importantly the last 500 years have also been by the most siginificant. The US put a man on the moon 60 years ago. China is always playing catch up and doesnt have the free environment that engenders innovation. Heres a punt. Manufacturing era for China is closing down now. I dont think China will catch the West. What happens when the miracle stops?

March 5, 2012 at 1:46 am | Reply
  19. Kme

Most people lose their ability to reason logically when they become absorbed in fear.

October 18, 2011 at 6:20 am | Reply
  20. kenneth

shocking but am not surprised,what did u expect frm a nation that counter the vote to save ppl surffering at the hands of their own govt....when a govt hs no regard for human right what do u expect frm it ppl.....that is china for you...

October 18, 2011 at 6:33 am | Reply
    • Nazmul

Panzihua in southern Sichuan made a ernceotcd effort to court Ruhr Gebiet industries after Germany turned the coal belt into a green belt. Much of their marketing revolved around taxes and lax environmental regulations. There are 10,000 Panzihuas in China.If you have been to most any village in China (or any suburb for that matter), you will notice that rivers double as landfills. Environmental awareness across the nation hovers just above zilch until people start dying of cancer. Foreign companies take advantage of this ignorance, indifference, greed and downright callous lack of humanity in order to turn a larger profit. If home nations (manage to) legislate their companies out of China due to environmental issues, they will go to Cambodia or the nations will succumb as the companies leave or the competition buys them up. This is provided that a company is beholden to a home nation at all.The rise of a worried middle class will help to bring about the mindset needed to make a dent into pollution in China, but we are talking about a massive undertaking. No nation on earth is more polluted than China and there is at least another five years, perhaps as much as a decade, to go before the country stops building to keep growth rates up. That's a lot of cement, a lot of steel. Assigning blame to others is what the CCP is good at and for those of us living in China and worried about early cancer, look to grassroots farming and sourcing; investment in water purification and, eventually, an exit strategy.

March 5, 2012 at 5:37 am | Reply
  21. Hello

As someone has pointed out this has to do with a very long series of widely publicized cases in the People's Republic of China where good samaritans were successfully sued by car accident victims for huge sums of money. In many cases rescuers took victims to the hospital, or attempted rescue, only to have the victims latch on to the rescuers accusing them to be the offending driver, etc., and the courts have ruled in favor of the victims (possibly in an effort to show that they have solved the case). I don't think there are good samaritan laws in the PRC.

I am quite sure the bystanders are well aware of this and choose not to involve themselves to avoid life-destroying legal liability. They were behaving rationally in the situation and were not particularly more cruel than anyone. Even prior to this incident, the general consensus (often circulated around in the form of jokes in internet forums, weibo (i.e. twitter) etc.) was that nothing good can come out of being a good samaritan.

I stress this because I doubt this would happen in Hong Kong and Taiwan where the legal systems are more developed than in the PRC.

October 18, 2011 at 9:02 am | Reply
  22. Steve

Each of the indifferent passersby need to be named and given the opportunity to present their side of this story.

October 18, 2011 at 9:26 am | Reply
  23. sue

My heart breaks for that little baby and her family. This is unbelievable what an evil time we live in,

October 18, 2011 at 11:22 am | Reply
  24. ruxi

I am a Chinese, and I just feel ashamed!!!!!!
    I do believe there is something wrong with this nation,
    & this must be bound up with Chinese Communist Party!

October 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  25. Taiwo Hollist

Sarie Said:

October 17th, 2011 4:26 pm ET

"What I want to know is, where the heck was that mom and why wasn't she looking after her child? How could she allow the child to be in such a dangerous situation? The mom is at fault"

@Sarie: I'm assuming that you are not a parent otherwise you would not make such a crass statemwnt as the one you made above. No parent would knowingly put their child in jeopardy but the fact of the matter is with the best will in the world no parent can watch their child 24/7 so unfortunately accidents will happen. One can only hope however that passers by would show a lot more concern than was the case here and frankly I'm at a total loss to understand why most didn't

For sure those who did not stop to help do not represent the whole of China and I don't believe one could or indeed should condemm all Chinese people based on this incident however it is a very worrying trrend...

October 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  26. Jessica

There are many cases in China in which people get sued for saving/helping others, and they end up paying large amount of money to the victims. And those are the innocent people who simply stop and offer help. Overtime people get scared, and become reluctant to help others fearing they will be sued for doing something good again. Very sad.

October 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  27. craig

China always touts its big skyscrapers, big cities, fast trains, etc, but all that doesn't make you an advanced society. Morals, ethics, and truly embracing the common good over evil and indifference, is what makes a culture evolutionarily advanced. Too paraphrase another responder, I have seen animals treat their young better than what I saw in that video. No western culture would have let that situation with a child occur. The Chinese gov't and its people only are responding to this because it was caught on tape for the whole world to see. That tells me that they know their actions are wrong, and that it probably happens all the time. I don't see any culture or society at all here. If they treat their own people this way, like garbage in the street, how will the treat the world in the future?

October 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Reply
  28. The Hammer

I am not surprised, but I am appalled. I was furious, I had to go cool off after seeing and reading about this. The Chinese culture has been this way forever, they are void of any emotions, incredibly private, and do not care about their neighbors or anyone else in any given scenario. I speak from personal experience. I have noticed that the poor (farmers, villiagers) are much more likely to help though. They are genuine people. But the rest are as cold and devoid of a personality as the mathematicians and solitary scientists that they are. Hopefully this will start waking them up a little, but I doubt it.

October 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Reply
  29. Sofia

I get the outrage – both at what happened to this little girl and the callous Chinese government and its policies, which foster this sort of indifference – but this isn't any different than all of the videos from the US and other nations that we've seen numerous times. Old people mugged and assaulted while people stand around filming it on their iPhones; Kids fighting where no on intervenes; People attacked at or outside fast food joints. It's all that's on the news these days. This isn't a Chinese problem. It's happening in all of our cities/countries. People don't care.

October 19, 2011 at 5:41 am | Reply
  30. Grim Reaper

This is just sick, pitiless humans. We always wonder why the Chinese are so cold and heartless, like robots. It must be the communist upbringing that makes them so devoid of anything that makes a human. This makes me want to puke down the throat of the drivers that hit the child and peel the skin off their body like a cucumber and a dill knife. I hope they are executed, and the robots that passed by do some soul searching because the grim reaper is going to play karma on their children.

October 19, 2011 at 7:23 am | Reply
  31. aifuong

As many said, this isn't a Chinese problem, in a way I agree that denial of assistance exists all over the world because people dónt want to get involved too much in other's trouble. BUT I believe that what I saw in the video was not a common case of denial of assistance which was random caught on a observation camera, I can never imagine that here in Germany where I live or in another Asian country where I already was, this could happen that around 20 people passing by just ignore the kid's body on the street. THIS is indeed a Chinese problem.
    -> Did you see the mother who had a child herself also just took a look at "something" lying on the street and then went along with her child?
    Busy people? People living in the city, people with high scholastic education but how to teach people to develop or better expand their altruistic qualities?
    -> the only person whose reaction was more than a shocked glance was an old road sweeper
    They accepted the westernization in some of parts of their social life, but as far as I know this wouls never happen in a western country, although there are indeed people who deny assistance but not in such a case like that.

As I have experienced, people on the country side are much more willing to help than in the cities. Sad but true. Your economic situation improves and is this what you have to sacrifice? Humanity?

AND some self-justification by telling you would be punished when helping someone IS NOT acceptable, so you would rather let a kid die than taking your phone calling the ambulance or taking a few seconds to carry the kid to a save place like the old woman in the video did? Even though there are many cases where helpers were accused but I think people must be very cold-hearted to ignore a baby's injured body on the street and letting it being catched by another car.

SHAME, how many accidents like that were not caught on camera?

October 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  32. enavit

yes, yes, something like " don't judge all of them like that, there are also terrible people in your country" I agree, murderers, cases of hit-and-run driving, psychopaths, they do exist everywhere and we cannot judge the whole >1.3 billions of people in the country being like all the people who were passing by in the video.
    BUT the ignoring people on the streets aren't murderers or psychopaths (as far as we know), they are such called normal people.
    AND normal people don't ignore a bloddy injured baby lying on the street!

October 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  33. rosiry

Back in 2006, an old lady in Nanjing, China fell down and broken her bones. A young guy passing-by sent her to hospital. Later, the old lady said that the young guy caused her falling down and filed a case against him. According to the judge of that case, if the young guy didn't cause the falling down of the old lady, he could call and wait the old lady's family to send her to the hospital. Therefore, it must be the young guy who pushed the old lady down. At last, the young guy paid a large sum of money to the old lady for her injury.

After that, many pieces of news were heard in China that the good people helping the victims were accused and punished (The victims may want to secure some money from the helper because they couldn't find who really caused the accident. There is no law in China to protect the good people helping the victims. So many people dare not offer help because if they did, they may be accused: "if you didn't cause the damage, why do you help the victim?" or "if you didn't cause the accideent, why you call the police?" and get huge monetary penalty. Most people are not rich people, and they can't afford such penalty. If they offered help, his/her whole family would suffer and live miserable.

I don't think it's right for the 18 people not offering help. However, while balming the 18 people passing-by, please think deeper what really caused the indifference. For those saying "I would definitely help" or "I would call the police", if you are in a country without proper law to protect you when you are helping others, if you heard many good people suffered and lived miserably after they helped other people, will you offer help without hesitation? Don't answer that quickly. It's much easier to say than to do!

Don't pass you judgement that quickly, especially don't judge the whole country and 1.3 billion people through this single case. Those 18 people needs to be blamed, but what ultimately needs to be blamed is the legal system and the victims who accused falsely against those helpers.

October 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  34. SLTeh

It's very sad when I watched the video of that incident happened to that poor little girl.....these 18 peoples are very very inhuman....I believe even animals can protect their young ones. At the same time....the parent ought to be blame for letting this poor innocent girl walking out by herself which she really need guidance at the age. If you cannot take care of your kid do not give birth to them! And those 18 irresponsible peoples, I'm sure that they will regret for the rest of their life and as they 'close' their eyes....the poor little girl will appear on them.........

October 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Reply
  35. Vickie

I wrote on a Chinese Blog to those who ran over the child and to those who walked by that " it should have been their mother." Of course, it will probably be censored.

October 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Reply
  36. Vickie

My comment on a Chinese Blog to those who ran that child over and who passed her by said " What if it was your mother?" Of course, it will probably be censored.

October 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Reply
  37. Jackie

I just hope that the toddler is recovering well, I hope and pray for her to get better, and not to suffer anymore pain than she did when she got hit, then run over by that huge truck! I would like justice for her, I want the two drivers who hit her knowing that they ran over the toddler be brought to jail, and pay for her medical expenses, license revoked! Vehicle repo, you name it! It seems that no one really cared to do anything to help the poor toddler! People have no sense of care for one another! This is very upsetting, sad, and sickening to my stomach!

October 21, 2011 at 3:17 am | Reply
  38. chassey

china......
    u are a big country with a amazing history in the past
    why u let that things happen.....i can't believe it
    ur people is sooooo sick....
    its time the government concern about morality of the people

October 21, 2011 at 9:54 am | Reply
  39. Anna

PEOPLE REALLY NEEDS TO RE-EXAMINE THEMSELVES, AS OUR NATIONS ADVANCES, WE ARE BECOMING HEARTLESS. FOR THOSE WHO SIMPLY IGNORED THE AGONIZING PLEA OF THAT CHILD, PRAY THAT IT WON'T HAPPEN TO YOU OR YOUR FAMILY.

October 22, 2011 at 5:38 am | Reply
  40. watuzi

No ruxi , it can't be bound with the ' chinese comunist party '. For the cpc doesn't encourage immoral and un-ethical actions , by the public . to Philllp G,Collier, your over-genetalizing and simplifiying the situation . Obviously, a China Basher in disguise .

October 23, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Reply
  41. Ramzeen

I read about how a guy gave a helping hand to an old lady who had fallen/pushed off a bus in China. The lady later sued the guy and she won because the "Learned" Judge sagely considered that only an alleged "pusher" would lend a hand!!!

October 24, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Reply
  42. May

It is the government and its managers who destroyed the moral system in China. People everyday here see and hear bad things the government do, corruption, bribery, escape with the country's wealth. What do the common people think about this? They finally become the by-standers who care about themselves only and not any other's benefit.
    It's my shame, it's my country's shame, and, it's my nation's heartbreak.
    I will remember this in my whole life.

October 25, 2011 at 2:39 am | Reply
  43. Ka

Many cases are happened in china, this case is only one of a thousand case...... People don't want to get in trouble. But I want to know how the little girl's mother let her daughter to go near the road? Don't she know this is dangerous? The 18 Passers-by......

October 27, 2011 at 4:50 am | Reply
  44. TransLucent

Horrified. How can people just ignore something like that? I wouldn't be able to just walk by.

October 31, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  45. promotion marketing

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon newsstream.blogs.cnn.com and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

January 18, 2012 at 9:00 am | Reply