October 5th, 2011

A day in the life of an iPhone addict

Anyone who knows me will tell you I cannot live without my phone. It virtually holds my life together. But instead of an emotional ode to my iPhone, I thought the best way to truly show you how attached I am to it is to take you through a day in my life.

11am: iPhone alarm rings. I suppose I could have used an actual alarm clock, but I can’t eyeball my email on my alarm clock, can I? (Note that I didn’t actually say “read” my email; I just like to skim the subject lines to decide how guilty I should feel for not actually reading them.)

1pm: On the way to work, I’m struck by an inane thought. In the past, I’d keep it to myself, or use as small-talk. Now? Out comes the phone, and inane thought becomes an, er, “insightful” tweet.

130pm: Arrive at work. Instinctively use foursquare to “check in” and share the fact that Ravi Has Arrived At The Office with the world. Co-workers give me funny looks.

230pm: Suddenly realize that I’ve probably just blown past my monthly allotment of free text messages in a single day. Switch to WhatsApp and continue swapping messages without guilt.

330pm: During the News Stream show meeting, someone asks a question about Denmark that Wikipedia definitely knows the answer to. I immediately begin looking it up on my iPhone... sending the meeting into an awkward holding pattern as we wait for Wikipedia to load on a really, really slow mobile connection in that particular corner of the office.

5pm: Time for a quick food run! Joined in elevator by colleague who I do not interact with enough to form coherent smalltalk with. Reflexively pull out phone and pretend to send a text message. Hope she doesn’t realise there isn’t any reception in the lift.

6pm: Suddenly realise I haven’t filled out my Fantasy Football team this week. Decide to do it with the iPhone app because it’s easier to hide from the boss. Something must give me away, because he promptly comes over anyway to ask what I’m doing. “Sending a, uh, work tweet,” I say, in the least convincing voice possible.

8pm: The TV show I produce, News Stream, airs live. I go through the entire hour without touching my phone. Don’t be too impressed: It’s charging about 25 metres away from me.

9pm: The phone rings. Someone actually wants to... speak to me. This is suspicious.

902pm: Turns out it was a friend who wants to know if I’m free for dinner tonight. I want to know why that wasn’t conveyed in a text.

930pm: During the walk to the restaurant, I look it up in Google Street View to see what it looks like. This turns out to be a dumb idea, because the restaurant is too new to be on there and I actually already know what it looks like anyway. Just seemed like it’d be a decent way to pass the time while walking.

945pm: Waiting for friend to turn up. I’m not just using the phone to pass the time; I’ve already answered two emails, checked in on foursquare, tweeted about my boredom, and bought and downloaded a game from the App Store that I will try once and never play again.

10pm: Dinner happens with phones on the table, and conversation peppered with pauses to answer various messages, be they email, SMS, Twitter or Facebook posts. Neither party sees this as rude, but as accepted behaviour.

Midnight: Minutes after physically saying the words “Bye, speak to you tomorrow!” with my mouth, I send the same friend an SMS. And then discover they’d sent me an email seconds before that.

230am: Time for some football! One eye is on the TV. One eye is on my stat-tracking app on iPad. And one is is on Twitter on the iPhone for up-to-the-second analysis and instant snark. I’ve realised that I cannot actually watch a sporting event without watching something else, be it statistics or the conversation unfolding on Twitter, lest I think I’m missing something.

5am: Football’s over and it’s time for bed. iPhone is slipped into the charging dock about half a metre away from my head.

During the course of the day, the hour where I produce my show is the only time my phone is in a different room from me. It stays with me because it keeps me connected to everything I need to be connected to: Friends, sports scores, news of the day. The genius of the modern smartphone is that it is so much more than a phone; it is a truly personal computer.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Gadgets • General • Personal musings • Technology
  1. Christopher

Alarm to get up for work at 11AM...really???

October 6, 2011 at 12:47 am | Reply
  2. SKB

That's a sad life indeed.

October 6, 2011 at 1:29 am | Reply
    • Shashank

Well, if you ever go down to Singapore though there are ogiainrl iPhones (i.e. no hacking required) for around S$ 1000, which is about a3390 at current exchange rates.Best place to get them is at Sim Lim Square, which is probably the IT centre of Singapore.

April 3, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  3. Jack

"Joined in elevator by colleague who I do not interact with enough to form coherent smalltalk with. Reflexively pull out phone and pretend to send a text message. Hope she doesn’t realise there isn’t any reception in the lift."

...you're a loser

October 6, 2011 at 3:13 am | Reply
  4. Me

Get a life lol

October 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Reply
    • Prestosa

You ignorant fool. How do you even know if I wacehtd the clip or not? Stupid people who makes stupid assumption such as yourself annoys me. I did a search on Android OS vs iPhone OS and this stupid video popped up I saw the title with best phone ever included, and I felt I needed to voice my opinion. I didn't even bother to watch the video, in fact, I paused the video so that I wouldn't be able to hear the audio (because it's probably nonsense anyways). Get your shit straight.

May 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Reply
  5. lazybasterd

just like my day, except mine starts at 730 am. not 11.

October 7, 2011 at 4:53 am | Reply
  6. ARH

This is so sad. I'm glad this person likes his toy, but I sense even he sees the inherent pointlessness of much of it (e.g., "Just seemed like it’d be a decent way to pass the time while walking").

I sincerely hope that he stops using his phone to hide from the world and starts to interact more without an electronic shield between him and reality.

October 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Reply
    • Jussara

rickiZEbabe on August 30, 2011 i like how i am quiet possitive about myeslf. i don't go around saying i'm fat' i'm ugly' yes i'm not the prettiest girl and i know what i would like to change about myeslf, but i still think i am quiet pretty xx

March 5, 2012 at 5:20 am | Reply
  7. not a fan

does anyone else notice that nothing he did throughout the day contributed to his actual job? It could be that there were emails he ACTUALLY read, unless this phone only has his personal email on it.

Back in the day, spending that much time doing personal stuff at work was grounds for dismissal.

October 14, 2011 at 8:15 am | Reply
  8. James

@Christopher. His day doesn't end til 5am. Therefore a n 11am alarm seems actually a bit early

October 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Reply
    • Artas

I talk on my quite a bit, but almost wayals with the headphones, and I did spring for the Apple $79 in-ear headphones with remote and mic. I love the remove on the mic and how it enables you to listen to the iPod, then answer and talk on the phone, and go right back to the music.I occasionally miss typing away long messages on my Blackberry, but nobody read those anyway, so I needed to be more brief. And it would be nice if my calls didn't get dropped in the middle of Boston, but they do.I still have not figured out how to jog comfortable with the iPhone. Are there any tips out there, a decent armband?

March 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Reply
    • Ebru

I will vote yes for Jake's iphone just acbeuse I would have wanted him to vote yes for my Blackberry (which I realize isn't quite as awesome as an iphone, but it does everything I want and more, plus it would just be another thing for jake to tell me I don't even know how to use). But in Diana's favor, it would have some negatives: the money, the money, jake already has enough time concentrating on things he needs to do when he is at home acbeuse of toys he wants to play with, imagine what will happen to his productivity when he can carry his toy with him everywhere he goes, and the money. Nevertheless, I still vote yes.P.S. I am contemplating politics.

March 5, 2012 at 2:39 am | Reply
  9. sosuikyoto

How very pathetic is the life of this youth.... Scintillating intelligence?

October 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  10. jrobin88

wow. i cant figure out what is more sad, the detailed description of his electronic dependance, the decline of social etiquette, or the weak three sentences at the end made to justify it all.

October 31, 2011 at 2:10 am | Reply
  11. Sylvia

You should read Super Sad True Love Story. It's all about iPhone addiction. Also just a really good novel.
    Am I the only one who read this and just thought "sigh, one typo and one grammatical error". I know it's a blog, but it is a blog on CNN. If you need an editor, just let me know.

November 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Reply
  12. Thisismyname.

What a sad life... Why does work start at 1:30??

December 8, 2011 at 6:21 am | Reply
  13. Martha Fry

Very funny, but so, so true-all Iphone owners write up your own diary of daily use-interesting, funny, sad in some way; but hey-it's 2011-2012-this is the way it is. for all of you who do not own an Iphone there is more coming-so put all your sanctimonious (sp?) statements away and buy an Iphone and you too will get hooked!

December 11, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Reply