May 17th, 2011

Big Mac Milestone

If you are the sort of person who counts calories, and watches what you eat, this might not be the blog for you. This is the story of one man, three decades, and tens of thousands of Big Macs.

Don Gorske has eaten 25,000 Big Macs

Today (May 17 2011), Don Gorske, a middle-aged American from Wisconsin, will bite into his 25,000th McDonald's Big Mac. Yes, that's 25,000 of the 540 calorie, double pattie, triple bun burgers. And what's more, he has a receipt for every single one of them.

Don eats a couple of Big Macs per day, every day of the week. He even has spares stashed in the freezer for emergencies. Yet recently, he's been on a diet (of sorts). He's slashed his Big Mac intake to one per day. Why? So that he can hit his Big Mac milestone today, exactly 39 years (to the hour) that he first locked lips around a McDonald's patty.

News Stream ordered 25 Big Macs, just 1,000th of Don Gorske's lifetime intake.

Just one Big Mac is more than a meal for me, and even the more meat-loving members of the News Stream team could only stomach a couple, so as well as chowing down on the 25 burgers we ordered this afternoon we helped ourselves to a side-order of number-crunching to make Don's achievement a little more palatable.

• Don Gorske has eaten around five-and-a-half thousand kilograms of Big Macs.
  • That's a whopping 13-and-half million calories.
  • He's also consumed 725 kilos of fat just from Big Macs, yet remarkably his cholesterol levels are fine! (156mg/dL in case you were wondering).

In 2008, Guinness verified that Don had eaten the most Big Macs ever, at the time just 23,000. Imagine, at his current rate of consumption if he lives until the age of 86 he'll have eaten 40,000. Now that's something for him to chew over.

1. Elizabeth Berry

where is his photo?

I wonder what he looks like–is he obese?

May 17, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  2. dan

His name is Donald. He is not big as in obese, but he has a big heart.

May 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  3. LZ

He was featured in Super Size me. Not fat at all, but a little crazy.

May 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Reply
  4. Justin

No so much crazy. More like autistic.

May 18, 2011 at 4:39 am | Reply
  5. deepwater805

This guys next gig is gonna be as the poster boy for the diabetes foundation...

May 18, 2011 at 5:37 am | Reply
  6. lili krsna krsna

why are you promoting the senseless slaughter of millions of sacred cows!! why put this glutton of a man on a pedestal. as a person with a position of responsibility you should know better. this is not news that is uplifting for the betterment of mankind, instead it brings about a violent and sinful reaction of the atrocity of killing millions of cows to the world at large. senseless slaughter of innocent animals leads to the degradation of the soul and leads one to hellish planets after death.

please reconsider before you promote the meat industry in your next news items!

May 18, 2011 at 6:28 am | Reply
  7. Robert

Maybe it's just me, but this is an "accomplishment" I wouldn't be bragging about.

May 18, 2011 at 6:35 am | Reply
  8. cruzer1

What a fat ass!!

May 18, 2011 at 7:21 am | Reply
  9. vitto

that's a slap in the face for the Health Taliban.

May 18, 2011 at 9:44 am | Reply
  10. tiago

They could not take the photo of the lard cuz he doesn't even fit the widest of camera resolutions... either that or you puke just by watching it, but srsly why is this news? I'ts not a milestone it's plain ridiculous. Oh btw, what proof you have he ate all of those individual pieces of garbage? 25.000 receipts? What?

May 18, 2011 at 10:01 am | Reply
  11. pedro m.

"yet remarkably his cholesterol levels are fine!" ahahah this was too rofl, good move mcdonalds, almost passed by...

May 18, 2011 at 10:03 am | Reply
  12. milton

The only explanation I can think of why someone would do this to themselves is that they have a lot of self hatred. I mean, I love burgers, and I eat a lot of them, usually home made, because I can make a better burger than any franchise. I do not eat nearly as many as this guy because I like variety in my diet; but even if you decide you are gonna eat burgers everyday, why the Big Mac? Why not something that actually has some flavor instead. Even some of the other franchises have burgers with more flavor than the big mac. Bk's whopper is flamebroiled, and tastier in my opinion, and the Carl's Junior six dollar burger is almost as good as what I make at home.

May 18, 2011 at 10:22 am | Reply
  13. Peter London

A Big Mac has 540 calories, and a grown man burns at least 2,000+ calories a day. So he could quite easily eat two a day; indeed even perhaps four a day – and not be overweight.

The guy is Super Size Me was simply eating too much. And he was drinking huge milk-shakes filled with sugar at least twice a day. That's what cause his problems.

Diabetes is caused by genes, being overweight and stress. Not by eating Big Macs per se. Same goes for raised cholesterol levels – there are a variety of factors, and his levels seems low. (But note that 75% of people who have heart attacks don't have raised cholesterol).

It's perfectly possible that he is in practice very healthy and will live a long life.

But one is always reminded of the unofficial motto of the French Civil Service: "It's all very well it working in practice; but unfortunately, it will never work in theory".

And you can tell I know what I'm talking about because I use semi-colons🙂

May 18, 2011 at 10:28 am | Reply
  14. Nemanja

Actualy, you just google his name and click images. You will see guy in blue t-shirt and glasses, just plain normal guy.....

May 18, 2011 at 10:28 am | Reply
  15. Jose Ariel

I wonder how did he ate all of that and why he still alive? lol!

May 18, 2011 at 11:01 am | Reply
  16. bambianne

Of all the interesting stories from around the world, why did I see this one and immediately know it was from somewhere in the states.

May 18, 2011 at 11:25 am | Reply
  17. Jacob Anderson

Calories in and calories out. If he burns more calories than he eats then he won't be a fat ass. People that eat and sit on their fat asses are well, fat asses.

May 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Reply
  18. Michele

Congratulations Don! I used to listen to Johnathon Brandmeir's Radio Showgram in Chicago and I heard him interview you many times. Good to see you are still at it.🙂

May 18, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  19. Bob

Lets do the math.....

25,000 over 39 years is 1.7 big macs per day
    1 big mac has 75mg of cholesterol
    1 egg has 400mg of cholesterol
    1 skinless 4 gram chicken breast has 100mg of cholesterol
    4 ounces of salmon is 80mg of cholesterol
    A big mac has 3 different vegetables on it, protein, fiber, and carbs in the right ratio
    Not to mention 25% RDA of iron and calcium

4 ounces of beef, lettuce, tomato and pickle 2 pieces of bread
    so keep eating "healthy" while his cholesterol is the only one going down as he gets older

May 19, 2011 at 9:44 am | Reply